What’s new on 2016 tax return

What’s new on 2016 tax return

What's new on 2016 tax return
Call 877-542-2130

There were a significant number of tax changes which took effect during the 2016 tax year which affected individuals, and which are reflected on the 2016 return to be filed this spring.




For more information follow this link to our page 

2017 Tax Calendar for Individuals

2017 Tax Calendar for Individuals

Call Us 877-542-2130
Call Us 877-542-2130

There are important deadline dates that apply to all Canadian returns and tax slips which are required to be filed during 2016.  To avoid penalites all returns must be postmarked by the due date specified.


For more information on when your tax slips should arrive, the filing dates for your returns, and when you need to make your payments follow this link or if your prefer download our PDF version 2017 Expert Fiscaliste Tax Calendar.

If you need our assistance to file your tax return this year, don’t wait contact us at 1-877-542-2130.




Individual income tax rates brackets 2017

Individual income tax rates and brackets for 2017

Call us at 514-954-9031
Call us at 514-954-9031
The Canada Revenue Agency has indicated that an indexing factor of 1.4% will apply to federal individual income tax brackets for the 2017 tax year. The personal income tax brackets and rates which will apply for 2017 are therefore as follows.



$11,635 to $45,916 ………… 15%

$45,917 to $91,831 ………… 20%

$91,832 to $142,353 ……… 26%

$142,354 to $202,800 ……  29%

Over $202,800 ………………   33%

The federal government does not impose a general or high-income individual income tax surtax.

For more informatation on preparing your 2016 tax return click here


Let us prepare your 2016 tax returns for you

Let us prepare your 2016 tax returns for you

As for Will at 1-877-542-2130
Call us 1-877-54202130
Let us prepare your Tax Returns

At Expert Fiscaliste let us prepare your tax returns for you.  Our tax experts help you get every tax refund you deserve because we know how hard you work.  This means that we work for you to make sure you get all the deductions and tax credits you are entitled to and offer you year-round tax advice.  Rapidity changing and increasingly complex tax legislation means that experienced personal tax return preparation is essential for all individuals.   Our experts receive extensive training to keep current on all the tax changes to ensure you get back all the money you’re entitled to.  Expert Fiscaliste will support you throughout the year if you are audited or asked questions by government authorities or interested in tax planning.

Call us 877-542-2130

It’s that time of the year again and we offer convenient, accurate, and affordable preparation of all types of tax returns. We’re equipped to handle any tax situation, including personal returns, rental properties, estate/trust, and foreign income. We’ll make sure that you get the maximum refund possible, and we provide you with tax support after the tax returns are filed.  Just follow three simple steps.  For more information on how click here for our PDF

Call us 877-542-2130

Tax Returns can be complicated and extremely time consuming.  Tax payers can be particularly challenged and stressed in knowing what information is required in compiling a tax return.   Use our check list to help you prepare the documents that you will need for your 2016 tax return.

For more information click here for our PDF



2017 TFSA Contributions

Tax Free Savings Accounts (i.e. TFSA)

Call 877-542-2130
Call 877-542-2130

Tax-free savings accounts are available for Canadian residents who are 18 years of age or older.  The first tax year that they were available was 2009.

There is no deadline for contributions to a TFSA, as the unused contribution room is carried forward into the next year.  However, a withdrawal in any year increases the TFSA room in the following calendar year.  Thus, if you are thinking of making a withdrawal close to year end, make sure it is done by December 31st, in order to have the withdrawal amount added back to the TFSA room sooner.

Call 877-542-2130
Call 877-542-2130

In a tax-free savings account:

  1. All investment income (interest, dividends, trust distributions and capital gains) will accumulate tax free
    1. Considering this all capital losses are not tax deductible, and
    2. not eligible for Canadian dividend tax credits
    3. Interest on money borrowed to invest in TFSA is not tax deductible
  2. Contributions are not tax deductible
    1. Excess contribution are subject to 1% monthly tax
    2. Contributions are reported directly to CRA by your financial institution (ask your tax professional for your details)
    3. 2017 contribution annual limit is $5,500, for total of $52,000 contribution room
    4. 2015 limit $10,000
    5. 2013-2014 limit $5,500 annually
    6. 2009-2012 limit $5,000 annually
  3. Withdrawals are not taxable
  4. Death of the TFSA Holder
    1. Can name a spouse or common-law partner as “successor holder” and on death the spouse keeps tax exempt status without affecting the spouse’s contribution room
  5. Martial Breakdown or divorce
    1. Can transfer directly to former spouse without affecting their contribution room.

For our PDF version click 2017 TFSA summary

Year-end Tax Planning Tips

Call us 1-877-542-2130
Call us 1-877-542-2130

Taxes are likely the last thing on your mind before the end of the year but for individuals payments made before December 31st can allow for deductions or credits for the current year ratherthan a deferral to next year.

Consider these (2) types of payments that individuals normally can claim:

Maximize medical expenses

While medical expenses must be paid by Dec. 31 to a claim a tax credit for 2016, the related good or service doesn’t always need to be acquired in the same year.  You may want to do this to exceed the minimum threshold

This provides an opportunity to prepay certain items for 2017 and claim them for 2016, if it enables you to exceed the minimum of 3% of Net Income.  For couples either spouse can claim the medical expenses so the 3% of Net Income of each spouse is very important consideration.

Maximize charitable donations

If you’re going to make a qualified charitable donation, and if you make the payment before the end of the year you will get donation credit on your 2016 taxes.



2016 CRA Phone scam

Call 1-877-542-2130
Call 1-877-542-2130

CRA Phone Scam.

If you receive a telephone call, voice mail, or email asking for personal, credit card, and bank account information it maybe a tax scam from someone is not from Canada Revenue Agency (i.e. “CRA”):

Be aware that the CRA will never:

  • Contact anyone for personal or financial information,
  • Request payments from prepaid credit cards or iTunes gift cards,
  • Give personal information to a third party,
  • Leave personal information on voicemail,
  • Send email with a link and ask for personal or financial information, or
  • Ask for personal information of any kind by email or text message

What’s New for Families

Whas new for families
Call 877-542-2130

What’s New for Families

    1. Universal child care benefit (UCCB) – The UCCB has
      increased to $160 per month for each qualified dependant under 6 years of age and there is a new benefit of $60 per month for each qualified dependant aged 6 through 17.
    2. Child care expenses – The maximum limit per child has increased by $1,000.
    3. Family caregiver amount for children under 18 years of age – The amount for children under 18 years of age has been eliminated and replaced by the enhanced universal child care benefit.
    4. Family tax cut – For 2014 and later years, the calculation for the family tax cut has been revised to allow unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts transferred from a spouse or common-law partner.
    5. Children’s fitness tax credit – The children’s fitness tax credit is now a refundable credit.

2016 Federal Budget – Corporate Class Funds

Call us at 514-954-9031
Call us at 514-954-9031

2016 Federal Budget

If you hold a corporate class mutual fund, or plan to purchase one, we want to make sure you’re aware of an upcoming change that could affect you. The 2016 federal budget includes a change to all corporate class funds that eliminates the ability to switch between different classes of shares within a mutual fund corporation without triggering a capital gain or loss, effective October 1, 2016.

Do you have to file a Canadian return

Call us at 514-954-9031
Call us at 514-954-9031

Do you have to file a Canadian return

  • You must file a return for 2015 if any of the following situations apply:
  • You have to pay tax for 2015.
  • You have received a request to file a return for 2015.
  • You and your spouse or common-law partner elected to split pension income for 2015.
  • You received working income tax benefit (WITB) advance payments in 2015.
  • You disposed of capital property in 2015 (for example, if you sold real estate or shares) or you realized a taxable capital gain (for example, if a mutual fund or trust attributed income to you, or you are reporting a capital gains reserve you claimed on your 2014 return).
  • You have to repay any of your old age security or employment insurance benefits.
  • You have not repaid all amounts withdrawn from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) under the Home Buyers’ Plan or the Lifelong Learning Plan.
  • You have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). This can apply if for 2015 the total of your net self-employment income and pensionable employment income is more than $3,500.
  • You are paying employment insurance premiums on self-employment and other eligible earnings.

Even if none of these requirements apply, you can file a return for other reasons:

2015 Do you need to file a Canadian Tax Return